Things to be aware of when trekking and preparing for a trek. Planning is key.
Prepare before departure
- Tell a family or friend where you’re going and for how long.
- Make sure you have all the necessary supplies before you leave (for example: water, map, first aid kit).
- Review the weather before departure, this will help you bring the most appropriate gear you’ll need.
The main things to not forget!
- A first aid kit which has all the essentials.
- Food and fresh water. If water is too heavy to carry bring a filter.
- A map of the area, review the map before you leave so you know you can understand it.
- A torch (make sure it’s working!).
- Proper footwear.
- An extra pair of socks.
- Sun screen.
- The correct clothing (for example, a rain jacket, gloves, hat – you should have a good idea of the clothing essentials once you check the weather forecast.)
- Emergency contact numbers, always keep them in your pocket or where they’re easily accessible.